Black Pine Revisited

Updated: Oct 8, 2020

Black Pine Revisited


Do any of you remember this tree?  If so, great memory!  This was one of the first Black Pines I worked on here at Aichien.  I worked on this tree back in April and the post that went with it was on my old blog site.  Recently I worked on it again so I thought I would repost the old post here and show you the recent work right after. Enjoy!

Wiring a Black Pine (April 14, 2011)

This is the second Black Pine that I was told to wire and style.  First thing to do was to pull the old needles and some of the new needles.  The strong areas I pulled the old and the new down to only three pairs of needles.  On medium areas, I left four pairs and on the weaker areas, I left five pairs.  (In California, I normally leave more needles overall.  In Nagoya, more is pulled, though one day back in California I’d like to see the results of pulling more needles.)


One of the first things that I wanted to do with the tree was make it shorter.  I consulted Mr. Tanaka and he agreed.




Some of the things that I did was bend many of the branches down.  Because this was my first time really styling a tree on my own, I wasn’t quite sure how Mr. Tanaka wanted me to cut the tree.  I have my own methods, but didn’t know if Mr. Tanaka would be happy with them.  I ended up only cutting some small branches and kept most of everything.  I figured that this way, Mr. Tanaka can always cut branches off as oppose to needing a branch that I cut off.  You can’t see it in the picture, but there is a foot long bar in the back of the tree.  I used it to pull the main branch on the right, back.

After I finished the work, I told Mr. Tanaka and he sat down and looked at the tree.  He told me to take the picture of my work, then he’s going to make some corrections.



As I watched Mr. Tanaka work, I stood behind him and started to take notes on my notepad.  Here are some key things that I saw him do.

  1. Tree was tilted to the right more

  2. The branch structure was simplified by cutting branches that were too long or crowded

  3. The main branch was shorted slightly

  4. All the main branches were pulled down more

  5. Multiple small branches that grew from the same point, were reduced down to two.

  6. The fan of the pad was spread further apart and made wider

  7. The pad itself was made flatter

  8. The overall tree is more tight, whereas before the tree was too wide

After Mr. Tanaka finished, we talked about what he did and what I learned.  Watching him work, gave me a good idea of his styling and tree training characteristics.  The structure of the tree really came out nice after he adjusted everything.  I hope to apply what I learned today to future trees I work on.

Thanks for reading.